Sunday 21 February 2016

Books I will read once university stops CRUSHING MY SOUL.


Being part of the online book-loving community has been close to torture since September. Why, you ask? Because I'm a second year English Literature undergraduate, meaning my ENTIRE DEGREE involves copious amounts of reading, which, as a book lover, is great! But it also means that I have absolutely no time to read any books unrelated to my degree. So scrolling through hundreds and hundreds of beautiful book pictures on instagram, and regularly working my way through my bloglovin feed, and visiting bookshops is SO PAINFUL. Because I can't read any of the wonderful books I see/read about. As a result, my summer 'to be read' pile is of monstrous proportions, and I wait in anticipation for the day I can FINALLY read all the books bookstagram, and book blogs have been dying over since September. 

I know I won't get through all the books I want to read during summer, especially because I'll be doing research for my dissertation, and starting with uni reading all over again in August. (At least, that's the plan.) So I have to prioritise my TBR. Waaaa. 

But in no particular order, a few of the books I will definitely be reading this summer are: 

1) FANGIRL BY RAINBOW ROWELL 

When I first saw Fangirl plastered all over the internet, I dismissed it. Not being a huge contemporary fan, I didn't think this would be my cup of tea. But I've heard more and more about it recently, and as an aspiring writer, a novel about another aspiring writer/fangirl seems like a must read. Plus, a fun standalone novel is just what I need after an academic year of complicated postcolonial theory, and super dense classics! 

2) THE LUNAR CHRONICLES BY MARISSA MEYER

All four of them. And preferably the two accompanying novellas too!

3) THE LAST THREE TMI BOOKS BY CASSANDRA CLARE

I read the first three last summer, and then decided to read the prequels before moving onto the last three, but alas! Summer ended and for the first time ever I hadn't completed a series. So TMI is high up on the list. 

4) ME BEFORE YOU BY JOJO MOYES 

I've been seriously badgered (read: threatened) to read this book in the past few months. I actually bought it YEARS ago on a whim but it was totally unheard of at the time, and I lacked the motivation to read it so it's been gathering dust on my shelf for a loooong time. Now that there's a sequel, and movie on its way, Me Before You is ALL over bookstagram so I think it's time I sweep the dust off my copy, and give it a read :) 

5) A LITTLE LIFE BY HANYA YANAGIHARA 

Every time I walk into a bookshop I am SOOO tempted to buy this because I've heard SUCH GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT. I mean, it sounds super depressing. But I've heard it's one of those novels that blow you away by the simple beauty of the prose. I hope that's true for A Little Life <3 

6) I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN BY JANDY NELSON

Because I read The Sky Is Everywhere like 6 years ago, and I loved it. More of that good stuff please. 

7) THE WRATH AND THE DAWN BY RENEE AHDIEH 

Cait gave it 5 stars, which means it must be pretty incredible. Plus, yay for Young Adult books with diverse characters set somewhere other than the west! 

8) AMERICANAH BY CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE 

It's about time I read something by this brilliant woman.

9) HALF OF A YELLOW SUN BY CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE 

Ditto. 

10) THE RAVEN BOYS BY MAGGIE STIEFVATER 

This is a direct result of Cait's constant gushing about anything Stiefvater related. So naturally, I just have to. 

11) DESTINY DISRUPTED BY TAMIM ANSARY

A history of the world through Islamic eyes. This is another book that's been on my shelf for YEARS. I've been eyeing it for months with the intention of reading it this summer so IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.  

12) THE WRETCHED OF THE EARTH BY FRANTZ FANON

I've read chapters of this for university, and I won't rest until I've read the whole thing. Fanon (and Edward Said) changed everything for me. He changed the way I saw the world around me, and how I felt about myself. In essence, he woke me up. 


This list could go well into the HUNDREDS so I'll leave it at 12 for now. Fingers crossed I get a chance to read all of these, and MORE. I'm a bit of a mood reader but I hope I do feel like reading everything on this list when I finally have the time, seeing as I've been wanting to for so long!


So what's your TBR made up of? Have you guys read any of the books on mine?
Share:

6 comments

  1. OMG LOOOOOOK MY INFLUENCE IS ALL OVER THIS POST. :') I am so monstrously pleased right now. Ahem. And I also gave Fangirl 5-stars, juuuuust so you know. And the Lunar Chronicles. So basically your priorities are absolutely full of win right now. (But *nudges the Raven Boys to the top of the list* Ahem. That's better.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS CAIT you influence so much of my TBR I can't even tell you :') I hadn't even heard of maggie stiefvater until I came across your blog last summer, and now i'm itching to get my hands on her books! I am forever indebted to you paperfury ;)

      Delete
  2. AHH. So many fabulous books here! I absolutely loved I'll Give You the Sun and the Lunar Chronicles so I hope you end up enjoying them as much as I did. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THEM!!! and thank you so much for stopping by! Much love <3

      Delete
  3. I am loving your blog. I think we also have quite a similar taste in books too. Although I'm in my third year of Uni I have managed to read some on your list 3/4/7. Cassandra Clare is a genius and my all time favourite author. Me Before You is a heartbreaking but brilliant. The Wrath and The Dawn has easily become one of my favourites (I have a blogpost doing a review for it). I would recommend Throne of Glass series to add to your summer lost because they are unbelievably incredible!

    Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I love that you love these books! Gives me hope that I'll love them just as much :D I have to seriously prioritise my TBR so the ones on this list seem like the best books out there right now (according my book taste of course) I've heard really good things about throne of glass too so that has to be read sometime soon. Also, Six of Crows! It has incredibly good reviews.

      Delete

© soulflower | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig