Thursday 26 May 2016

ME BEFORE YOU | WILL I EVER BE OK AGAIN?


'Sometimes, Clark, you are pretty much the only thing that makes me want to get up in the morning.'

I bought Me Before You by JoJo Moyes YEARS ago on a total whim from WHSmith. I'd never heard of it before, and heard nothing more about it until last year, as rumours of the movie began surfacing. Now, it's splashed all over bookstagram and it's got the likes of Emilia Clarke and Sam Claflin starring in the movie adaptation. So, I though I'd put aside my preconceived opinions of it and give it a chance.

I'd heard it was a tear-jerker, and while I shed a solitary tear towards the end of the novel, it wasn't until I reached the epilogue that something inside me snapped, and I gave into the overwhelming sobs rising up my throat. Me Before You isn't a poetically written novel with stunning passages of prose. Rather, the writing style is a reflection of the protagonist - ordinary, simple, and often laugh out loud hilarious. It's written in first person, and reads very much like a diary. While it took a few chapters for me to get into it, once I was hooked I literally could not put it down, and ended up spending most of yesterday in bed consuming the considerably chunky novel in one go. It's just that good. 

The plot was simple, and thus, captivating. The characters were also very relatable, as Moyes didn't attempt to glamourise the reality of many working class families in England. The progression of love between the two protagonists was natural, and slow. But also doomed from the start. 


I had hope, though. Until the very last page I held out hope for a picture perfect ending. And it broke my heart when the reality of it all finally sunk in. 

'So this is it. You are scored on my heart, Clark. You were from the first day you walked in, with your ridiculous clothes and your bad jokes and your complete inability to ever hide a single thing you felt. You changed my life so much more than this money will ever change yours.'

If you guys have any tips on how to recover from something has heart-shattering as that... please do share :'(

The book has naturally received a lot of criticism. Moyes's depiction of a quadriplegic choosing to end his life through Dignitas despite all the other good aspects of his life, and how incredibly loved he is did not sit right with all readers. Other's dislike that Louisa decided to change her life because a guy told her to rather than because she realised life is short, and she should make the most of it. Personally I think it was a bit of both, and we can't deny the influence the people we love have on our lives, even if it goes against our image of what a strong independent woman should look/act like.  

It's not perfect but it's a GREAT novel. And one that will stay with me for a lot longer than I would have expected. 

What do you guys think of Me Before You? Also, have you read the sequel?! Any thoughts?
Share:

12 comments

  1. I can imagine how heart broken you must have been. Did you watch the movie too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was :'( I watched the movie on Friday! Cried ALMOST as much as I did while reading the book. (Had to restrain myself cause I was in public LOL)

      Delete
  2. Oh my god! So I plan on buying and reading the book before I watch the film and I think I totally ruined the whole thing for myself by reading this 😭😭 I knew I was gonna cry but now that I know, I don't know what to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD IM SOOOOOO SORRY. I should've put a trigger warning of potential spoilers or something
      :( Tbh... even before I read it I knew I would be crushed just by everyone else's reaction to it. You should definitely still read it cause it's a great book and I think my review still leaves out a lot :') Again. SO SORRY. omg. I'm the worst.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like such an emotional and haunting book. I'm definitely going to have to give it a try after seeing how much you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N'AWWW thank you so much Zoe! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading my review and YES DEFINITELY READ IT. I think it's worth the heartache <3

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! I bought this for my Grandma to read (she's a sucker for heart wrenching stories!) and now she wants to go see the film but I've told her I need to read the book first. (You know, the *unsaid, unwavering* rule: read the book first etc!) I think I've partly been putting it off just because I feel as though I need to be emotionally stable enough...to fall apart?! Either way, it's on my list! Enjoyed reading your thoughts though! Much love, Ana xxx

    www.namastefromananya.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I 100% know what you mean about needing to be emotionally stable before falling apart :') it's like we think there won't be as much emotional damage if we're on solid ground to begin with! But READ IT WATCH THE MOVIE and make sure you carry some kleenex with you for both you and your Grandma :')

      Delete
  5. I really really want to try this one because THE MOVIE STARS SOME OF MY FAVOURITE ACTORS.😂 I know that's such a shallow reason but there it is. hehe. I've heard about the suicide aspect of it and that does bother me, just the romanticizing of suicide? I'm concerned by that and the fact that it might be sending subtle messages that people with disabilities are less worthy than those without. But I can't know until I try it? So yeah. *nods* I WILL SOMEDAY. I'm also curious to see if it'd make me, the Vulcan of the century, actually cry too.😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Cait... I'd bet good money that you of all people will NOT shed a tear :') you'll feel sad and you eyes may water but actual gut wrenching sobs? Most likely not for the ruthless Paper Fury! So I feel like the movie gives more of the impression of suicide being preferable over disability, but the book shows a few different perspectives, which the movie leaves out. I totally get why people would feel insulted by the depiction of a wealthy and much loved man choosing Dignitas because of a disability. Overall I'd say the book does the topic more justice than the movie (although the movie is great too). Thanks for stopping by Cait! <3

      Delete
  6. Yes, you will recover. As soon as you've read After You. If Louisa Clark has hope - we all have hope. Good review!

    ReplyDelete

© soulflower | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig